Here is a 1942-S RPM-006.

CCC
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Again. Nice Find!

CCC

eaxtellcoin
04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey Wheat,
If you ever want to get rid of it let me know? Mine is a XF, need to upgrade.. I would LOVE to find a 42-S RPM#9. That one is my only missing hole for the 42-S

Eric, I will contact you. I think I'll have several RPMS maybe we can swap for four or five. Sorry for the delay getting back to you....

DWK
04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey Wheat,
If you ever want to get rid of it let me know? Mine is a XF, need to upgrade.. I would LOVE to find a 42-S RPM#9. That one is my only missing hole for the 42-S

Is there actually an album with holes for RPM's? Or was that just a figure of speech?

Wouldn't be nice if there was an album like that with photos next to each hole? At least for the top 100.

That probably would motivate me to get serious about RPMs. For now, I find it too difficult to research and attribute most of them. Just too many and too subtle variations.

Brad
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
There is no album. If you are searching, you find what you find. If you are buying, you should make a list of about 10 at a time. That is what I did. I listed what I thought were the top 10 I wanted...then bought them...then made a new list. I think I am on my sixth list. I just need a 1945 S/S rpm 5.

Wheat Cents
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Wouldn't be nice if there was an album like that with photos next to each hole? At least for the top 100.

DWK, an Album for Variety Collectors will probably never happen cause it is so specialized there is not a large market. I had thought of putting a Dansco Album together with circ error / varieties / others like MDD (except for the keys naturally ) and sell it. That is possible. But have not started that project only a thought at this point in time. But If you have an old Dansco album and are searching circ rolls That is a place you could put "stuff".

A note to new lincoln cent collectors about Albums: Those Albums with the holes are not suited for BU Lincolns period. Lots of nice collections over the years have been destroyed by these type of albums. Need to keep 'em in 2x2s or Kointains, if not already in slabs. Most raw varieties I have kept in 2x2s. However, I have put a few in Kointains then slipped the Kointain into the self slab. The Kointain serves to protect it from the Slab insert which is not inert. With a larger holder you have plenty of room on the back to included a label with coin data like die stage and other pertinet info Wexler - Coneca - Crawford and Fivaz and Stanton numbers. If you make an error just affix a corrected label on it. Little more expensive than a 2x2 though, the Kointain is about 15 cents and the "Slab" about 33 cents, also it does take up more space that 2x2s.

A little larger that a Kointain but still as protective for BU Lincolns is a completley clear form fitted matched pair front and back. I tossed a sample on to the scanner glass, you'll get the idea. When the coin is inside you are able to see the the OBV, REV and the Edge. About 29 cents if bought in quantity.

DWK
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks Wheat and Brad for the very comprehensive advice.

Wheat, You said:

"A note to new lincoln cent collectors about Albums: Those Albums with the holes are not suited for BU Lincolns period. Lots of nice collections over the years have been destroyed by these type of albums" Do you mind discussing this further?

My main albums are the "Official US. Mint two book set of Lincoln Cents from H. E. Harris Co. They are supposed to be made from acid free paper. I realize they are not 100% air tight. Is that the problem? Virtually all my coins are from circ. rolls.

Gradually I have been able to upgrade most memorials to MS60-65. Is this album inadequate for those coins?

Most 1940-1958 Wheaties are AU or better, older wheats are G to VF. Is the album inadequate for those?

I have only a few "valuable" pennies in my main collection, 1909S G, 1924D VG, 1931S F. Could these be ruined by this album over time? and how? Thank you for specifics.

I have a 1999 Wide AM AU in a 2x2 flip. If it was BU I would probably get it slabbed.

What few varieties and errors I have, I currently keep in 2x2 flips in 60 slot coin wallets by type, Doubled Dies, RPMs, Clips etc.

I try to upgrade my main set gradually by searching, and trading any Duplicates or Doubled dies, RPMs etc. that I come across. For ex. I expect to find several more 1999 Wide AMs before I would ever find a 1914D.

The Main question then is, should I replace the Harris Albums with a Gazillion 2x2 or Kointains? If I happened to come across a 50 year old wheat in MS67 or better(by some miracle), I definitely would get it slabbed or at least put it in a Kointain.

Thanks again, I really appreciate any advice.

DWK (Dave Kearns)

Shingpumps
04-28-2008, 07:39 AM
DWK, an Album for Variety Collectors will probably never happen cause it is so specialized there is not a large market. I had thought of putting a Dansco Album together with circ error / varieties / others like MDD (except for the keys naturally ) and sell it. That is possible. But have not started that project only a thought at this point in time. But If you have an old Dansco album and are searching circ rolls That is a place you could put "stuff".

A note to new lincoln cent collectors about Albums: Those Albums with the holes are not suited for BU Lincolns period. Lots of nice collections over the years have been destroyed by these type of albums. Need to keep 'em in 2x2s or Kointains, if not already in slabs. Most raw varieties I have kept in 2x2s. However, I have put a few in Kointains then slipped the Kointain into the self slab. The Kointain serves to protect it from the Slab insert which is not inert. With a larger holder you have plenty of room on the back to included a label with coin data like die stage and other pertinet info Wexler - Coneca - Crawford and Fivaz and Stanton numbers. If you make an error just affix a corrected label on it. Little more expensive than a 2x2 though, the Kointain is about 15 cents and the "Slab" about 33 cents, also it does take up more space that 2x2s.

A little larger that a Kointain but still as protective for BU Lincolns is a completley clear form fitted matched pair front and back. I tossed a sample on to the scanner glass, you'll get the idea. When the coin is inside you are able to see the the OBV, REV and the Edge. About 29 cents if bought in quantity.
Where do you buy these from?

Wheat Cents
04-28-2008, 08:03 AM
There are several sources. When I bought them I did not buy them by the box but instead cases in bulk.

If looking for smaller quatities try : http://www.stantonbooks.com/

For the Clear edge viewable : http://www.coinedge.com/

eaxtellcoin
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
I just need a 1945 S/S rpm 5.[/quote]
Brad, your going to need to pucker on that one when you find it. I have only seen two in Circ. I sold my extra in XF and it brought $45.00 about 3-4 years ago....

Brad
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I saw a circ on Ebay. It sold for around $50...I should have went for that one. I did not realize that it was so tough to find. It is a nice looking rpm.