PDA

View Full Version : 4 half dollars not gold

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 06:23 AM
I just got 4 half dollars from a friend last night. He got them from a bank teller many years ago and was told that these coin came out of US Mint rolls.They have a flat gold color and the weight is not right plus two of them have errors.First the weight should be 11.34g and the weight is 11.20 and 11.19g. This is not right. I'm thinking that if they were gold plated then shouldn't they weight be more not less?
Next the first coin seems to have a collar clash maybe.
The secound coin I'm not sure if it is just off center srike. The pictures show the true color of the coins.I am adding 13 pictures, so there is two post together.Could these be on the wrong planchet?

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 06:24 AM
On one of the coins the eye doesn't look right?

snowman
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
that weight doesn't sound too bad. i heard that coins are not dead on the weight thing so that weight should be in the range for halves.

with the gold color, i'm wondering if the halves toned too a gold color. Maybe it was where the halves were kept all these years. I've seen a few goldish coloring. can you see the clad-copper layers on the edge ?

let's see what others chime in ? Snowman :D

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I scraped a small spot on the rim and it does look like the right color.What gets me is the OBV and the REV and rim is all the same color.The old owner did tell me they have been it his basement for over 20 years. I see nothing that shows a coating on the coins except the color.

that weight doesn't sound too bad. i heard that coins are not dead on the weight thing so that weight should be in the range for halves.

with the gold color, i'm wondering if the halves toned too a gold color. Maybe it was where the halves were kept all these years. I've seen a few goldish coloring. can you see the clad-copper layers on the edge ?

let's see what others chime in ? Snowman :D

jfines69
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I didn't know the Philly mint did special coins???!!!

enamel7
09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I've seen many of the gold plated and yours look like just toning. Even if plated the weight would be minimal.