PDA

View Full Version : 2009 $1 star under E

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Okay
lineop3 you had to get me looking now :LOL_Hair:
Whats some thoughts on this 2009. It looks to be a star under the E.

mustbebob
09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Too much circulation damage on the rim to be sure of anything Frank. Probably just some dings that look similar to a star.

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Bob. I didn't know you were around.I emailed Mike Diamond before you came in.Sorry. I got another one were the two in the date looks maybe doubled.I'll post in a minute, here maybe you can tell me your thoughts.

mikediamond
09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
The star is raised, so that makes it a contact mark from the edge of another coin. It's not an error.

mustbebob
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I just signed on Frank. Every time I do, I have to go through 60 or so posts, so I should be here for a little bit.

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Here's the 2008. Date don't look right.

mustbebob
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't know much about the process Frank, so I can't say if this is anything remarkable or not.

mikediamond
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I have no idea what you find unusual about the date. That said, I've got an article coming out in next week's Coin World on edge lettering varieties. I define a total of four styles, but there may be others I'm unaware of.

pennies4pennies
09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I have no clue on these coins and just learning.The marks on the date just looked to be different from what I see on cents. I see This is a complete different ball game all together. I will read coin world and try and understand more on these coins. For now I'll keep them aside. Thank You Mr. Diamond.

jfines69
09-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the postings Frank... Those are really awesome pics you took!!!

akovia
11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi,
First post here and new to collecting in general. I stumbled on this post looking for something else entirely and felt compelled to reply.

Just today I made a post about this same issue in a general coin forum as I found 3 coins in an uncirculated roll of the new Lincoln dollars that had "Extra Stars" One of the coins had 2 extra stars alone and were much better defined. The reply I got was that it was an impression from a "Hard" strike against another coin. "Post Mint Damage" as they put it, even though it was a unopened roll from the mint. I don't doubt this as I am quite new to this, but would still love to hear a more thorough explanation of how this happens at the mint.

http://eidolen.sent.com/photos/[100]_Stack_01_2010-P_004.jpg

Ako

jcuve
11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. While I would prefer to see this post in its own new thread, I'll answer anyway. I suspect the stars are raised, though I must admit I am not certain. If so, that rules out just about everything. As to how or why they are there from a Mint roll, again I suspect, but cannot definitively say, that the coins only need be sorted in such a way, along their journey before the bank, side by side one time in a machine to have them hit one another and leave an impression...

akovia
11-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the reply and I apologize for not starting a new thread. I thought it was relevant to this one, which was why I replied instead.

They are indeed raised which is why I don't doubt that it wasn't caused in the actual minting process, but I still have some nagging questions like why am I seeing so many stars and not any other markings like the letters from the motto, or numbers from the date on any of these coins. Apparently there is little information available as to the exact workings of the edge lettering process, (at least I haven't uncovered much) so I guess that tends to lead to more speculation.

I'll keep an eye out for any more information on the subject and can hopefully satisfy my curiosity sufficiently. Until then I'll set them aside and hope for the best.

Best Regards,
Ako