PDA

View Full Version : Newbie intro

Brucker
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Okay, I'm going to be a good newbie and abide by the board's suggestions, making an intro post. (And this time, I'll make it in the right folder...)

I'm actually not much of a collector, but I've recently been put in charge of processing tips at work (Starbucks), and people toss weird stuff into the tip jar. Recently I found two oddities for which I've been scouring the 'net for info, which is turning out to be harder than I thought. It's probably in part because I don't know the right terminology.

Anyway, the main reason I joined is to ask those of you who are in the know about two interesting cents I came across recently.

First, and easiest, I found my first-ever 1943 steel cent. I was curious as to the value of such things, although from the info I could find, this particular one is probably worth less than a quarter. It's pretty beat up, and even a little rusted.

The really interesting one that I found though was a half-minted 1963 cent. When I found it, I was going to toss it out as a piece of scrap metal, as I didn't even recognize it as a coin. Then I flipped it over and saw that it was indeed a penny, but with a flat side where the memorial image should be. Any tips on how I can tell if this is a genuine error coin? If it is real, being in pretty much the same condition as any other circulated 1063 coin, how much is it likely worth?

DoubleYou
09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Welcome aboard!

The best way we can help you is if you post pictures.

Brucker
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a camera or scanner at this time, although I'll see if I an borrow one. Are there any websites that have info on comparable errors?

jfines69
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Do you have a cell phone with a camera... That may do the trick!!!

jcuve
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the LCR forums!

Brucker
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I got a friend to take a couple pictures; I'll get them up soon, hopefully.

And not that it likely makes any difference, but I remembered wrong: it was a '62.

jfines69
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
We hope to see your pics soon!!!

lineop3
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Welcome to LCR Brucker!
Looks like you got the HOOK. One more oddity and you'll be reeled in and the treasure hunt is on! Glad you decided to join us.

Aisha