Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founding Member, LCR Forums Pat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 10

Unanswered: Would this be considered a CUD?

Or just extra metal on the rim?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat Sherman
    Founding Member, LCR Forums

Shingpumps
    That is called a rim cud by some. There is a market for these when coupled with CUDs.

Shingpumps
    To be a cud it needs to touch IN or any other relief on the coin.

Shingpumps

fugnchill
    Hi Pat,

My first thought was glue/laquer simply due to the color difference. I have many coins with this on it and they have this color. If it's not then this looks like a rim die break ( break does not extend beyond the inside of the rim).

Now, the reason I opened this thread again. I'm wondering your guys' opinion on this 1940 S cent. It looks like a retained broken die. I just wanted some opinions. Thanks guys!

Lestrrr

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 38
    Looks like a retained cud to me. I haven't seen many of these but this does look to be struck with a die having a retained die break. Hope my terminology is at least close to being correct on this.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 400
    To be a cud it needs to touch IN or any other relief on the coin.
    Shingpumps...I have seen that you mentioned this a couple of times on other posts, but where did you hear or learn that cuds had to touch any part of an inner device to be considered a cud? I had never heard that before. I guess an example might be if what if a piece of the die breaks off on a cent below TRUST, and above the date, but does not touch either, or run to the profile...do you not consider that a cud? There are other coins (like some Statehood Quarters), where there may not be any devices so close to the rim. I have always called a cud anything where a piece of the die had broken off and it went from rim to rim (other than a retained cud of course). I am just really curious as I had never heard your description before. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Shingpumps
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    Shingpumps...I have seen that you mentioned this a couple of times on other posts, but where did you hear or learn that cuds had to touch any part of an inner device to be considered a cud? I had never heard that before. I guess an example might be if what if a piece of the die breaks off on a cent below TRUST, and above the date, but does not touch either, or run to the profile...do you not consider that a cud? There are other coins (like some Statehood Quarters), where there may not be any devices so close to the rim. I have always called a cud anything where a piece of the die had broken off and it went from rim to rim (other than a retained cud of course). I am just really curious as I had never heard your description before. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I guess I should say passed the rim and into the field. I never stopped and listened to what I was saying, I have loads of die breaks that don't touch the relief. Or I could lie and say there are 2 types of cuds, Relief cuds and Field cuds. Thanks for the correction Bob.

fugnchill
    Hi Guys,

I believe it's a retained broken die also but I'm curious whether or not it could be a DIE lamination error. I know that they both look very similar but if the lamination has fallen off the die then they would look almost exactly the same. The main focal point for me is the rim itself. I "think" I see separation on the rim on both ends but with the normal wear it's hard to say. The inner edge of the rim is obviously moved on the right side but this can be from wear also. Is there something that I'm missing between a die lamination error and a retained die break?

Shingpumps
    I've never seen a break where the dsign still shows through. I am leaning towards lamination too.