Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Appears to be unknown 1943-S DDR

Additional Information
    Date: 1943
    Variety: DDR
    Mint: San Francisco

There only seems to be about a dozen 1943-S DDRs between the three sites and I am not able to pin down this copy to any of them. This one fits the typical description of a standard class vi, "extra thickness in EPU and in the wheats & stems" DDR.

The location of the mint mark is the main marker, however, I also included some obverse die scratches since the reverse has none. I picked this off of ebay under the assumption that it was DDR-2, but it is not [AFAIK]. The die scratches from the chin to the date seem the most noticeable and there is a very faint die crack across the shoulder to the lapel which doesn't show in photos.

Please let me know if you recognize it or even if you can tell the die states [E,M,L,etc.].
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPring; 1 Week Ago at 10:27 AM.

2. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, joel, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NVM -- case closed. It is 1dr-4/ddr-5 [which is actually class ii + vi].
    Last edited by TPring; 1 Week Ago at 10:43 AM.

4. Likes Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you found the #. That is some nice thickness.

What led you to the correct one?
    Was it marker you spotted or seeing some separation and realizing it had some class II as well?

6. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    What led you to the correct one?
    Was it marker you spotted or seeing some separation and realizing it had some class II as well?
    After posting, I took one more look at the candidates and found the die scratches listed in the CopperCoins entry [not terribly obvious on the coin]. Typically I just use VarietyVista and the mint mark location, but that wasn't getting me too far.

Just glad to be able to put this one away with a correct attribution number.
    Last edited by TPring; 1 Week Ago at 07:01 PM.

8. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice DDR! Doc has me working on pics for his new listings and I've been dragging my feet getting them done for him, should have time to finish them in the next day or two though. Just figured I would let you know this is also 1943-S 1c-WDDR-007, just not listed yet, because I'm lazy.

10. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    ... this is also 1943-S 1c-WDDR-007, just not listed yet, because I'm lazy.
    Thank you for the notification on this. When available, I like to put the attribution numbers from all three sites on my coin flips.

12. Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many of the listings I'm working on, Doc gave me more than one example, so it was easy to verify markers, the doubling and different stages, but this one, I only had one example. I noticed what looked like doubling on the date, as I have marked up but wrote if off as MD. Yours is a later die stage but looks like I can see it on yours too. The cc and VV listings have shadowing in that area, so can't tell from them. I'll make a note for Doc to check it out and see what he thinks. It maybe to minor to list, even if it is hub doubling. Check it out.

14. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many of the listings I'm working on, Doc gave me more than one example, so it was easy to verify markers, the doubling and different stages, but this one, I only had one example. I noticed what looked like doubling on the date, as I have marked up but wrote if off as MD. Yours is a later die stage but looks like I can see it on yours too. The cc and VV listings have shadowing in that area, so can't tell from them. I'll make a note for Doc to check it out and see what he thinks. It maybe to minor to list, even if it is hub doubling. Check it out.
    How did you let yourself get suckered into that?
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

16. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... I noticed what looked like doubling on the date, as I have marked up but wrote if off as MD. Yours is a later die stage but looks like I can see it on yours too. The cc and VV listings have shadowing in that area, so can't tell from them. I'll make a note for Doc to check it out and see what he thinks. It maybe to minor to list, even if it is hub doubling. Check it out.
    Interesting -- I had written off the date and mint mark distractions to DDD [and possibly PSD], but I do see some MD around the neck, too. It seems that the steel was harder on the dies than the bronze, but I don't know for sure: Just seems as though the 1943s have more DDD.

It appears that the reverse EPU on yours is 'crisper' at at the tops of the letters and mine does have some PSD gouges. I do see some of the same die scratches such as the one heading due south from the upper horizontal of the E (in ONE) showing in your EPU3 pic so the stages shouldn't be too far off.

18. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    How did you let yourself get suckered into that?
    Shut up.

20. Likes willbrooks, Petespockets55 liked this post