Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Rim lines?

DWK

Unanswered: Rim lines?

I never noticed anything like this before. Funny lines coming in along the rim, both sides all the way around.

Any ideas what caused it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 5
    Took a close look at a few later date BU Lincoln rolls 99, 02 , 04, 05 and 06 . Many exibit this feature in varying degrees. Looks like small metal flow lines. If so ... BJ gave a good tutorial on this here:

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/f...read.php?t=732
    Last edited by Wheat Cents; 03-24-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Lincoln Cent Variety Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 66
    The coin pictured was made with a die in the later stages of its life, more than likely a LDS. They radial lines are metal flow lines caused by erosion and are just one of the indicators used in determining die state.

BJ Neff

DWK
    Thanks guys. Never too old to learn something new. I read the other thread before but didnt relate that to my coin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 5
    Membership in LC Forums is truly a "Resource" for Lincoln Cent collectors. CoinTalk , Coin Community and CONECA Forums deal with a wide rage of topics. Coppercoins Forum is pretty much LC specific, but it has indeed been nice to be able to exchange ideas and get advise from other knowledgeable notables like Trails.
    Lincoln Cent Variety Enthusiast

DWK
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Cents View Post
    Membership in LC Forums is truly a "Resource" for Lincoln Cent collectors. CoinTalk , Coin Community and CONECA Forums deal with a wide rage of topics. Coppercoins Forum is pretty much LC specific, but it has indeed been nice to be able to exchange ideas and get advise from other knowledgeable notables like Trails.
    DITTO from me