Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1946-S Roll Search Results

I looked through my unsearched roll boxes and pulled out all the 46-S rolls I have accumulated over the past few years. I thought I had more...but had only ~6 rolls to look through. I counted the mintmark varieties, pulled out the nicest coins and all the varieties, etc similar to how I processed the 55-S rolls from previous search and will document the finds here over the next few days.

Regarding that previous thread, I thought I had segregated all the 55-S rolls into one group comprising the 58 rolls I searched. But as I looked for the 46-S rolls I found SEVENTEEN more 55-S rolls that need to be gone through. I contemplated doing that before I looked through the 46-S, but decided I needed a break from 55-S so went through the 46-S first.

Not to disappoint this time around, I have a few pics I took of the nicest toners in the rolls. I absolutely love the "shellcase" toning on BU cents minted near the end and just after WW2, and these rolls did not disappoint. Here they are:

2. Likes BadThad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice images, Ray. Did you find any inverted mintmark s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like coin #2 & #4 are from the same die.
    Richard S. Cooper Some have asked about my images I use, and I'm glad to say I've completed a DVD of these. Ask if you are interested. Newer members like these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DCW View Post
    Very nice images, Ray. Did you find any inverted mintmark s?
    Unfortunately, no. If I had, that would be my lead-in post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    Looks like coin #2 & #4 are from the same die.
    Yeah, they have those weird die scratches just in front of Lincoln's mouth. Sort of a Silence of the Lambs thing going on. I found one other coin with even heavier scratches there but I don't think I put it aside...

Post Thanks / Like
    those are awesome pics, NICE
    Rich

jhcons
    Real nice ray. They look great. Jealous of the toners

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the kind remarks!

Continuing on, I pulled out the better varieties I found. A actually found a dozen or so RPMs of various types with SS MM, all with doubled upper serif and perhaps some separation showing on upper curve, but most are so LDS that they are not super interesting. This is something I have always noticed about 46-S cents, ie that I rarely find EDS examples. Perhaps all the rolls I have owned have the EDS coins picked from them? Interestingly, I did find one EDS coin, but it almost looks like it's LDS already! I know that does not make sense, but even the EDS coins I've seen don't seem to be hubbed all that crisply. Anyway, besides the various LDS RPMs, here are the other varieties I found more interesting:

1MM-031

1DO-001

1DO-003 (no photo yet)

DDO 6-O-II (no photo yet)

RPM-037

In addition to the above, I found an RPM I'm having a tough time identifying. It looks a lot like 1MM-031, but has a different lower "serif" and is very slightly lower. Here is a pic:

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here's the mintmark tally:

Total Coins: 255
    Trumpet Tail: 150 (59%)
    Sans Serif: 70 (27%)
    Ball Serif: 35 (14%)

Looks like I was fairly lucky and got a bigger proportion of Ball Serifs than would be expected. Now if only a few of those had been inverted...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you found some interesting coins Ray! Thanks for sharing your results.
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID