Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job, brother! I think I'll have a 'Nog in your honor! Amazing pic, btw, Mr.Parkhurst!

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike the trails we see on US coins, the angles and corners of the affected letters on this die are NOT drawn out. Perhaps this is because the polishing wasn't as aggressive in this instance. Then again, just because something looks vaguely the same as something else doesn't mean it is the same. I also observe that the circular polishing scratches do not match the relatively straight direction of the streaks on this die. Until someone can eventually duplicate the drawn-out appearance that is typical of die trails on US coins I will reserve judgement on this theory (which I'll admit is the best we've got at this juncture).

4. Thanks VAB2013, jfines69, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mike, we greatly appreciate your involvement, help and insight! What a frustrating theory for all involved, makes you want to take a trip to Philly and see for yourself! If only we could.

6. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may be my eye brain interconnect but I can not see trails it just looks like light and shadows... I see no depth to the areas... I think Will is on the right track, and most likely correct, but like Mr. Diamond I must reserve judgement... I am no pro tho!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post
    Unlike the trails we see on US coins, the angles and corners of the affected letters on this die are NOT drawn out. Perhaps this is because the polishing wasn't as aggressive in this instance. Then again, just because something looks vaguely the same as something else doesn't mean it is the same. I also observe that the circular polishing scratches do not match the relatively straight direction of the streaks on this die. Until someone can eventually duplicate the drawn-out appearance that is typical of die trails on US coins I will reserve judgement on this theory (which I'll admit is the best we've got at this juncture).
    Up until watching the video - I had always envisioned the mint using a polishing wheel more in line with the design of a bench grinder as opposed to a rotary tool. A bench grinder type polishing wheel's impact would be linear instead of the circular force of a rotary tool. The trail angle extending from the design element being dependent on position the die was held when placed against the polishing wheel.

12. Thanks jallengomez, VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes jallengomez, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same concerns as Mike expresses but did not want to be the first fly in the ointment.

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because all trail dies look radically different from Will's die, eh?

Attached Images Attached Images
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

16. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    Because all trail dies look radically different from Will's die, eh?

I have no dog in this race, just trying to get at the root of things. This example may be one produced by the same process as in the proposed theory. (It does not look the same to me; but hey!) Whatever else, it does not look like the trails that I am accustomed to seeing and the ones for which I'm looking the answers. Will, I think you are doing a great job at super personal investment. I actually hope you are right and you can prove it. Your doubting Thomas LOL.

18. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an article coming out in Coin World this coming Saturday in which I give full-throated support to the theory that trails are the result of clumsy die polishing. Thanks again to Will Brooks, Ray Parkhurst, and Sean Moffatt for clearing up this mystery. The article also discusses an interesting case in which a set of die scratches was clearly directed by the design (in this case the columns of the Memorial). So, evidently, there are polishing tools that are soft enough to invade the die's recesses but stiff enough to generate die scratches.